At some point my Mother started calling me Danger Boy. I can't remember when it was exactly but it may have been around the time that I started juggling chain saws. Somehow that title stuck and I now wear it with pride (and named my blog after it). For me danger is not about risking one's life or a quick adrenaline rush but rather the heightened experience that comes from doing things that society in general may label as "dangerous". It is not that I intentionally seek out dangerous things and then go and do them. Rather I am somehow naturally attracted to that realm. I was attracted to black powder like a fly to S#!T. Ice climbing and scuba diving just made a lot of sense to me as sports activities and for a period of time one of my biggest goals was to do full body burn stunts. For work I get to rig off high buildings and blow stuff up (in a pyrotechnic way - in case CSIS / CIA is reading). I am constantly on the look out for other "dangerous deeds" to provide me with portals to new experience, entertainment, fitness, and wonder and fun. Here is where I will share those experiences with whoever comes along. Welcome...

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Real Estate Investing - Talk About Scary!!!


I think that one of the scariest things a person can do is attempt real change in their life. Well, this is the path that I am presently embarking on. Oh don’t worry, I’ll still blow stuff up, climb up scary mountains and get my cave diving certification (this year!!!). However, another thing that I am going to accomplish is to become a professional real estate investor. I guess I am at that point in my life where I am starting to think about the rest of my life and the idea of some security and cash flow seems like a sensible idea. Boy, didn’t that sound all growed up. After all, how else am I ever going to afford the luxury or some of those real hardcore adventures that I have planned without some serious cash behind it to make them a reality? I mean, come on, a scuba diving rebreather setup is $15,000 just for a start!

How does one become a professional real estate investor? Well, I started out with a boat load of books (and I read them too!). Stuff like Rich Dad, Poor Dad and other general financial planning, investing books. I then transitioned to more specific stuff like David Lindahl’s Multi Family Millions that told me how to buy whole apartment buildings and transition them from money loosers (or break eveners) to cash generating machines. All purely hypothetical at the moment but exciting to read about and imagine.

I am the kind of guy that when I get into something I send out as many feelers in as many directions as I can. I asked everyone I knew who I thought knew a thing or two about real estate and I got some great leads and information there too. The internet is a great place to search for this stuff so I did a bunch of looking there as well. It wasn’t long before I came across this group based in Edmonton called Fast Track To Cash Flow. They provide real estate investing seminars and training among other things. Next thing I know I am here in Edmonton trying to pull myself together after sitting all day in a conference room in a hotel. A group of 125 of us spent the day listening to a whole bunch of diverse speakers who filled our heads with strategies, advice, and experience. I feel like a balloon about to burst and there is still one more day of it. Sitting on my butt in a conference centre all day is not my first idea of fun but believe it or not I am very excited. Really looking forward to getting back home to start to put it into practice. First step, start finding real estate deals. Second step, find a group of investors who want in on these deals and start buying property. Very crazy and scary and I can’t wait!

I set up a web site for this new endeavor (of course). No, not much there yet but it will be the place to go to find out what Big-Wheel Investments is up to. I’ll keep you posted on this and all the future adventures that this new career path sponsors. And hey, if you have a real estate deal or want in on an investment let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment