At some point my Mother started calling me Danger Boy. I can't remember when it was exactly but it may have been around the time that I started juggling chain saws. Somehow that title stuck and I now wear it with pride (and named my blog after it). For me danger is not about risking one's life or a quick adrenaline rush but rather the heightened experience that comes from doing things that society in general may label as "dangerous". It is not that I intentionally seek out dangerous things and then go and do them. Rather I am somehow naturally attracted to that realm. I was attracted to black powder like a fly to S#!T. Ice climbing and scuba diving just made a lot of sense to me as sports activities and for a period of time one of my biggest goals was to do full body burn stunts. For work I get to rig off high buildings and blow stuff up (in a pyrotechnic way - in case CSIS / CIA is reading). I am constantly on the look out for other "dangerous deeds" to provide me with portals to new experience, entertainment, fitness, and wonder and fun. Here is where I will share those experiences with whoever comes along. Welcome...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Get Me Away From The Olympics

So I have to admit that the Olympics is pissing me off a bit. I’ll be honest, I’m more than a little bummed that my company is not taking part in some aspect of the performance and celebrations that are soon to be taking place in Vancouver. The city I was born in and what would have been a perfect stage for our stuff.
Our Ring Gag Proposal

My only consolation is that I really do feel like I gave it my best shot. From three years ago through to last year I met with key people in Vancouver on three separate occasions. I had good, solid introductions and presented our company overview and proposals representing original content that we could offer the event. Mainly I was after a coveted opening or closing ceremony spot but there were certainly many more opportunities to be had. For a while things were looking promising but it just didn’t go anywhere.

Processional Ring Gag Intro Proposal

Now here we are on the cusp of the great event and I am forced to watch from the sidelines. I hope for a truly spectacular show and I just pray that some of the old school “Canadiana” gets passed by. I remember my horror watching the handoff ceremony in Turin four years ago and how disgusted I was at how, culturally, Canada always seems to get distilled to ski-doos, mounties, maple syrup and hockey. Let’s broaden our horizons Canada. I know we can do better than that. I’ll be watching (from the beach in Mexico)!

No comments:

Post a Comment